In honour of Anne Bradstreet, the North Andover
Our town is the home of America's first published poet, Anne Bradstreet (1612-1672). Anne arrived here at the very founding of the town in the early 1640's with her husband and their young children. She made her life in the frontier settlement. She made her mark in the world of poetry right here in North Andover. Her first collection, "The Tenth Muse Lately Sprung Up in America", published in 1650, was widely read in America and England, an uncommon achievement for a woman in the post-Elizabethan English world. Anne lived and raised her family - and wrote her poetry - right here. Anne is an inspiration to all of us on the Poet Laureate Committee, and why we named the contest after her.
Let Anne Be Your Muse
- Write a poem inspired by Anne’s poetry or her history
- Poems can be any style, free verse or rhyming
- See where Anne’s words and life can take you!
- Open to all who either live, work or go to school in North Andover
- Submit in one of 5 age categories: Grades 1-2, Grades 3-5, Middle School, High School, Adult
- The poems can be any style. They can be rhyming or free verse. Write a poem however the theme speaks to you.
- The top three in each category will be invited to perform their poems on the North Andover Common
- Include the poem from Anne or the event from her history that you are using as your inspiration
- By submitting a poem, the author / parent / guardian gives the North Andover Poet Laureate Committee the right to publish the poems online and on the FB North Andover Poets page, and in a collected book of poems for the event.
- Parents/guardians of school age children have the right to approve what identifying information for school age children is published: 1) the name, school, and grade, 2) initials, school and grade, or 3) only school and grade is published.
- The poem copyright remains with the author.
- Email to: email@example.com
- Subject: Age Category (Grade 1-2, Grade 3-5, middle school, high school, adult)
- Body: your name, email address, mailing address, age category, poem
- If sending an attached document, include the name and other information in each document
- Those without email address, ask an adult in the household with email to submit
- April 15 Final date to submit poems
- April 29 Winners and finalists announced
- May 6 Award ceremony on the North Andover Common - Winners and finalists will read their poems. (May 13 rain date) Last year we had more than 120 people in attendance!
The contest and poetry celebration is sponsored by the